GSOBuchanan's

"Canadian by birth, Southern by the Grace of God."

10.13.2006

Miss Panda

On Wednesday I substituted for "Miss" Vicki in the two year old preschool room. It was really quite fun because the children there are obviously much more verbal and independant than the 13-18 month olds that I usually work with, so it was a good change of pace. The lead teacher in the room "Miss" Cindy is really incredible with the kids and has lots of fun activities and crafts that she does with them, it is a really wonderful program.
Anyhow, so I was back in my regular room on Thursday morning when "Miss"Amy who was subbing for Vicki that day popped in to say all the kids wanted to know where "Panda" was. It took them a minute to figure out what they were talking about, but apparently they couldn't pronounce Amanda properly so they all ended up calling me Panda. At the end of the day one the little girls and her mom popped by my room because she really wanted to say hello to Miss Panda. So I guess Panda is my new name.
(I still can't get over that everyone here trains thier children to call women over the age of 18 "Miss" so and so. Where I grew up that would have been considered fairly rude and/or condescending. But I understand that here it is considered respectful so I am fine with it, but it still makes me want to laugh sometimes.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Encore Dance said...

Marcus had a swim teacher this summer that he call Panda. It was cute, he had a crush on "Panda". The girls at the studio all Call me Miss Julia. I call them Miss also. I think it cute and fun! do you know any cute Halloween songs? It's fun to teach actions to songs, they memoize faster that way.

Sat Oct 14, 02:59:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Faith said...

Do you remember calling Amanda Jenson "Manda Panda"? By the way, I really enjoy reading your blogs--I've been busy this past week and had a great time catching up on what you have been doing. I loved your beautiful Thanksgiving table and enjoyed seeing pictures of you (you look great, by the way!).

Sun Oct 15, 09:22:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home