GSOBuchanan's

"Canadian by birth, Southern by the Grace of God."

10.02.2006

Moravian Chicken Pie

There is a religious group in the Triad area called the "Moravians" who broke off from the Catholic church in Moravia Germany before Martin Luther even did. Because of persecution they had to move around alot and eventually ended up coming to North America and founded several settlements, with a large one in what is now our community. For at least a century they have been famous for thier chicken pie, which is really good. I have tried it at "Salem Tavern" before, which is the restaurant located in Old Salem, a living history mueseum that enacts life in the earliest Morvian community in the area.
Anyhow, my friend Anne from church used to be Moravain before she joined the LDS church. She mentioned to me once though that she still participates in many of the Moravian social functions, such as making the pies for fundraising. I told her many months ago that I would really love to come and learn how to make them if she wouwld invite me. So this morning she gave me a call and said she had just found out that they would be meeting that night and I was welcome to go if I was free. So of course I jumped at the chance.
I learned all the different steps and helped to make 69 pies that will be frozen and sold at thier candle tea the first weekend of December. They will be meeting every Monday night for the next several weeks to do this. I don't want to brag or anything, but I was a pie making machine!! They even invited to me to come back next week if I wanted.
It was such a great experience to be involved in a tradition that has been going on for so many generations. I always think it is really amazing when people are willing to teach and share such long lasting traditions with an "outsider". I will definately be making some chicken pies this year. It might even become a yearly tradition for our family as well!

6 Comments:

Blogger mimi said...

Oh Amanda, that sounds so fun. At your age and time, I would have loved to not only learn how to make those pies, but spend my time with friends make them for a fundraiser. Here's to more Monday nights like that. You are really a great cook!!

Tue Oct 03, 12:15:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Faith said...

So are you allowed to share the recipe, oh famous pie making machine?

Tue Oct 03, 03:39:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Amanda said...

Yes Faith...I can share it with you...but then I would have to kill you...

Tue Oct 03, 09:05:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Elisa said...

Facinating, I have never heard anything about Moravian's before. Chicken pie sounds very good right now (we had canned Progresso soup for dinner).

Tue Oct 03, 11:28:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger tortietat said...

I regularly help with the chicken pie making at my church here in Winston-Salem, NC. It's hard work, but most of the workers are members of my extended family and I love being with them. Just last week we made about 300 pies in a two day period. We start with several hundred pounds of chicken, but here is a simple version of the basic recipe. Different churches do slight variations, but of course, I think ours are best!

You'll need pastry for a double crust deep dish pie.

Cook a whole chicken in salted water until very tender. Remove chicken from bones and dice into bite sized pieces. Place cooked chicken into bottom crust, sprinkle liberally with black pepper, and dot with 2 to 3 tbs butter or margarine. Thicken chicken broth with flour to make a medium thick gravy and pour over chicken to barely cover. Add top crust, flute edges and cut a couple of steam vents. Now take 1/4 cup flour and cut in 1 tbs butter or margarine. Sprinkle over top of your pie and bake at 425 until gravy bubbles up and crust is nicely browned. Unbaked pies freeze well.....in fact we make them and sell in frozen state.

My 85 year old identical twin aunts insist that using an "old hen" produces much better flavor than frying chickens.....I tell that than since they are old hens themselves they should know!

Enjoy!

Mon Nov 17, 10:30:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to send word of thanks for sharing this recipe which I have not yet sampled. My daughter, in her 3rd year @ Salem College, has told me about these wonderful chicken pies she has enjoyed. When my daughter was younger I could never get her to try even a homemade chicken pot. As a temporarily dislocated southern now residing in the wilds of Northern Mn.,I'm surprised they don't have this variation of chicken pie here--the Lutheran faith is very prominent here (noting the correlation to the Moravian faith). Here, there is a type of meat pie called a pastie, (pronounced past-tee) taken from an English recipe which seems to be popular, of which haven't tried.

Sun Dec 05, 12:39:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home