GSOBuchanan's

"Canadian by birth, Southern by the Grace of God."

9.02.2006

Pumping Gas




Today I had an adventure. A friend of mine recently bought a new house in Burlington, NC and I wanted to visit her and see her new home. So this afternoon I made plans to head out there to visit. For those of you who don't know I am a relatively new driver, I didn't get my licsense until I was nearly 25 due to a variety of reasons having to do mainly with my immigration and naturalization situation. So although my doing this might not seem like a big deal for the average 26 year old female, it was a pretty big undertaking for me to drive 45 minutes away to a town I am not familiar with to a place I have never been all by myself.
Anyhow I set out with my written directions and got on the interstate, so far so good. I got off at the right exit but unfortunately missed the next turn off and ended up rather far out of my way and somewhat in the middle of nowhere in a place called Haw River, NC. At this point I was nearly out of gas and needed some directions, so I got off the road at a gas station called "Venus Mart" (where the gas was actually a bargain at 2.56 a gallon). This is where things get tricky...believe it or not I had until this point never pumped gas in my entire life, I was feeling quite overwhelmed. But it had to be done and I more or less figured it out all by myself, so feeling remarkably empowered I headed into the station and managed to get directions and continued on my way. I made it to my friends house much later than anticipated, but I did make it there and had a great afternoon.

6 Comments:

Blogger Spencer the Bomb Diggity said...

Wow! All I can say is Wow. It is so strange for me to read this and realize that not everyone has these little experiences when they are 16 with a new lisence. I say kudos to you Amanda.
Recently I have found myself an "expert" on camera gear and equipment. I really don't but I tend to know more than others and so tey ask me for advice. Lately people have apologized for asking me such a "stupid" question. I find myself telling them that everyone had to learn it sometime. I learned is sooner and they learned it later. Either way it all works out.
I am proud of you for doing all that... and finding gas for 2.54! It is 3.00 in NM.

Sat Sep 02, 11:40:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Elisa said...

I think that is great Amanda. I had to drive in Boston on my mission, I found it very difficult to orient myself on the east coast. I drove to Conneticut on more than one occasion. I couldn't always see the sea, and there were so many trees! I need the big moutains and wide open spaces to know north from south.

Good on ya!

Sun Sep 03, 07:07:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Amanda said...

YIKES....Boston is a scary place to drive!

Sun Sep 03, 08:38:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger mimi said...

Great job Amanda,I also think you did awesome. Did you have the boys with you too? That deserves even more kudos.

Mon Sep 04, 12:38:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger everything pink! said...

you go girl!!!

Fri Sep 08, 09:10:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Faith said...

I'm impressed that with all the stressful things going on that you still had the presence of mind to take some pictures for your blog! Gas is 2.38 here so we have you beat. I think it might be because they put 10 percent ethanol in the gas up here in corn country (Iowa).

Sun Sep 10, 11:16:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home