GSOBuchanan's

"Canadian by birth, Southern by the Grace of God."

9.08.2006

A Good Food Day...A Bad Soccer Day

As you all are aware by now I am really into food...just about all food, and today was a great day for good eating. My friend Anh Dao from our ward is originally from Vietnam until her family moved to New Jersey when she was 15. Anyhow, Asain food of all varieties has always topped my list of food interests and Vietnamese is something I am not as familiar with as others. So the two of us met up at a place called Pho Hien Vuong for lunch. She walked me through the menu and explained what all the dishes were etc...it turns out it is very similar to Thai food (my absolute favourite) but with its own unique twist. We ordered the lunch special which was a fabulous $4.25!!! I had Basil Chicken which was a pleasant surprise with a hint of tamarind, rice and a Vietnamese spring roll with dipping sauce. The Vietnamese spring roll was very similar to a Thai one only it didn't have celophane noodles inside and was more meaty, very yummy. I couldn't believe it was so cheap and so good. ( And a big thanks to Bevan for watching the boys while I went out, I had been very crabby and needed some down time!)
Later this evening there was another UNCG soccer home game which was a must, so on the way to the game we stopped off at a campus hot spot called Yum Yum's. They have been serving hot dogs and ice cream to UNCG students since 1908, and I don't think the prices have changed much since then. A fully loaded hot dog is a mere $1.30 and a plain one a dollar!! All of us ate for under five bucks. Let me explain what "fully loaded" means here in NC, the hot dogs are topped with chili, slaw, mustard and onions. Also the weiners are "Red Hots" which for some unnatural reason they are an odd flourescent pinky/reddish colour. I am sure I will get about 4 kinds of cancer from eating one but it's a Carolina classic, mmmmmmmm.
Now on to the soccer game against The University of Alabama at Burmingham, not so good. We lost with the last point scored by us being against ourselves, shameful. Liam also had a difficult time since he missed his nap today and was a bit wrangy. Oh well, better luck next time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elisa said...

Ooooh I love Thai food, Darin has been telling me he will take me out for Vietnemese for awhile now but we don't get out much. When you guys are up this way we will take you to Boondock's it's Philipino food, which is kind of asian...well they eat rice anyway and they put beans in their ice cream shakes!! (but it's really good!)

Sat Sep 09, 12:45:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Amanda said...

When I was in high school one of my friends who was Japanese and I would go to this SUshi place after school and eat adzuki bean ice cream, it was really good!

Sat Sep 09, 07:39:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Faith said...

Go UAB!

Sun Sep 10, 11:10:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home