GSOBuchanan's

"Canadian by birth, Southern by the Grace of God."

11.04.2006

Running In Cold Weather...any suggestions??

Well I have been working away at my goal to be able to run a half hour solid for about a month now and so far so good. I have only missed one day of my training schedhule, which was last Saturday morning because we went to the zoo and I didn't have a chance the rest of the day because there was so much happening with Halloween etc...Right now I am running 7 minutes and walking 3, I repeat this 3 times which of course adds up to half an hour, I usually cover a little over two and a half miles in this time period.
Here is my current dilemma however, up until this point I have always been on a treadmill indoors. This morning though I wasn't going to have time to go over to the UNCG Rec center so I thought I would run outside on the sidewalks in our parking lot, BAD PLAN. It was pretty cold this morning and my ears started aching terribly (I should have worn a hat or something) plus I was just having a hard time pacing myself. Does anyone have any suggestions for running in cold weather or outside generally when they are used to treadmill running?? I am going to have to venture outside again sometime but hopefully will be better prepared.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elisa said...

I know what you mean, it's tough. You do get use to it...mostly, but my ears always hurt in the cold unless they are covered up. They ache inside. So, I always wear a hat and gloves, a turtle neck made for runners (TJMaxx usually has them), and a jacket with zip pockets. That way I can take the gloves off and zip them in the pockets and take the jacket off to tie around my waist as my body starts to heat up.

I am not running this winter but hope to get back to it next Spring! You are such an inspiration.

Mon Nov 06, 01:23:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Amanda said...

DO you remember what the name of the turtle neck brand is? I am so clueless!

Mon Nov 06, 08:58:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Spencer the Bomb Diggity said...

You know, I never ran for "leisure" until one winter I just got running at 12 at night. Elisa would know more than I do, but I almost hate running in the summer now because I really got liking running at night in the winter. I never had problems with my ears, I think it was all that skiing we did without ear muffs. One thing that helped is get some head phones and listen to Bevan's shuffle while you run. These and these are my two favorite headphones. They stay on and keep your ears warm, and are not looming over your head. They are less than 20 bucks and might be of some help.

Tue Nov 07, 10:37:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home