GSOBuchanan's

"Canadian by birth, Southern by the Grace of God."

9.24.2006

Sigma Sigma Sigma


Tonight after dinner we went on our traditional Sunday evening drive/walk to UNCG campus. On the way home we stopped into the student center so that I could use the restroom. On my way in I ran into a hoard of sorority girls heading home from thier weekly meeting, these girls happened to belong to sigma sigma sigma as evidenced by thier T-shirts. On my way out of the restroom I ran into another drove also heading home, although I am not sure which specific group they belonged to because thier sorority apparently has a dress code for meetings and they all wore black dresses and high high heels, were also mostly blonde and very very thin.
Ever since Bevan has started attending UNCG I have been fairly fascinated with the whole Greek system, probably because it is so foreign to me. The university that my dad works at had banned the system several decades earlier due to many of the problems that often accompany fraternities and sororities. Also, since I attended Ricks College and BYU obviously there were none around during my own college days. A year or two ago a read a book called "Pledged: The Secret Life Of Sororities", by Alexandria Robbins. It was an inside look at what goes on in these organizations, some of the incidents and issues outlined may have been somewhat sensationalized but from my distant observation much of it seems to be quite accurate. Each sorority has a certain image they are trying to portray and you can generally identify them from each other when they are all togethor. Depending on the sorority demands to be thin or wear certain styles and brands of clothes may be stronger than in others. Also some may have a stronger reputation for "partying" or dating only within the Greek system. But for many of these girls its seems like by and large this is generally just a means for social networking and a feeling of belonging when they are away from home, which as long as they don't get caught up in the negative aspects of the system I can't say there is anything inherently wrong with. I mean if I had moved away from home and didn't know many people and didn't have the church to rely on as a social support system, I would imagine that a sorority would be very appealing.
This past weekend when we attended the UNCG soccer game it was the designated "Greek Night" and we happened to be seated right in the Greek section. Bevan actually knew one of the sorority girls sitting behind us (they were chemistry lab partners last semester which cracked me up!) so we talked to them a bit and they all seemed like sweet girls and were paying lots of attention to Liam and Asher. UNCG actually requires all the Greeks to live on campus in designated dorms so they can keep an eye on what is going on so I think the drinking and partying might be lessened on this campus comparatively to others. Anyways...its a foreign concept to me that is fairly fascinating to watch, something along the lines of a car wreck I can't look away from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home