GSOBuchanan's

"Canadian by birth, Southern by the Grace of God."

9.29.2006

The Perfect House


Lately I have become very fixated with looking at different houses, mostly because I don't have one and hope that someday I will. When I look around diferent neighbourhoods I have very specific criteria that I judge by. Houses need to be sturdy and solid, quality construction that will last and doesn't look as if it would blow over in a strong wind...this usually means red brick in my estimation. I also prefer that it not be a "cookie cutter" type house in a neighbourhood where everything looks like a theme and variation on the same thing. I like older homes that have some history and character, of course I would prefer that the older home be well maintained and have been updated with modern convieniances. There are some newer homes that fit this criteria, but they are hard to find it seems.
My preferences seem to stem mostly from the house I lived in for many years when I was growing up. My parents bought a beautiful victorian home built in 1901 in a small town called Gananoque which is about a half hour outside of Kingston, Ontario. It is in the heart of the Thousand Island area of Lake Ontario and the Saint Lawrence River and is a very beautiful part of the country. The house was three stories tall plus a basement that I think may have been used as a coal cellar at one time. My bedroom was the old maids room and I had my own private staircase that led straight down into the kitchen, this really impressed friends when they came to visit. I thought it was fabulous because I could sneak around the house at night without having to go past my parents bedroom! When my parents decided to move back into the city I was a very sad girl, I loved that house and still do. I have very wonderful memories of being a child there, especially at Christmas...that house was built for Christmas! I hope that someday I will find a place that will come close to measuring up ( and if I could afford it that would be great to!!)
P.S. The home (pictured above) is currently a bed and breakfast, Heather and Brad Pack actually stayed there one night when they came out for our wedding which I thought was a very cool thing for them to do!

4 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

Sounds like the perfect house to me!

Sun Oct 01, 10:53:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Elisa said...

I know what you mean exactly! I have always felt the same way about houses, I really wanted to by a home up by the U of U in one of the old neighborhoods. We need to be making about $100,000 more than we currently do to buy one, but one can always dream.

Your home growing up sounds wonderful, next time you go home take pictures and blog them!

Sun Oct 01, 06:58:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Elisa said...

Oh! hello, I forgot the part about your parents selling the house!! Oh well, you have the memories!

Sun Oct 01, 06:59:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that it? It looks a little different than I remember. Hmm... that was a long time ago.

Mon Oct 30, 12:44:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home